Views of Leamington Spa in Old Postcards

Aerial View

Aerial View

An early aerial view of the town showing the Parade in the centre, the Pump Rooms lower left, St. Peter's Church left centre, the Town Hall clock tower right and in the distance the spire of St. Alban's Church and the tower of St. Mark's Church.

Regent Hotel

Regent Hotel

Occupying a prominent location on the Parade, the hotel was considered to be the largest in Europe when completed in 1819.

Town Hall

Town Hall

Cundall's iconic, yet idiosyncratic, gesture to civic pride, completed in 1884.

Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity Church

This church stands in Beauchamp Avenue and was built in 1847 to serve the ever expanding area at the north of the new town.

St. Peter's RC Church

St. Peter's RC Church

Dating from 1864, the church replaced that in George Street which the congregation had outgrown.

Upper Parade

Upper Parade

An iconic view of Leamington Spa with Christ Church providing a focal point at the top of The Parade

Binswood Avenue

Binswood Avenue

Convent/Leamington College

Convent/Leamington College

David Squirhill's idiosyncratic design of the 1840s which served first as a school, then a convent before reinstatement as a school. Now converted to residential accommodation.

Holly Walk

Holly Walk

A quiet scene with the Theatre Royal on the left.

The Parade

The Parade

View from Lower Parade with Christ Church just visible at the top of the Parade.

Warwick Street & St. Albans Church

Warwick Street & St. Albans Church

St. Albans Church dating from 1877 was noted for its green copper spire. This is a coloured postcard with the artist seemingly unaware of this fact. The church was originally a chapel dedicated to St Michael and All Angels. It was demolished in 1964.

St. Mary's Church

St. Mary's Church

Once known as St. Mary in the Fields due to its semi-rural location. Building commenced in 1839 as the town was spreading out towards the south-east. The land was provided by Edward Willes.

All Saints Parish Church

All Saints Parish Church

Electric trams appear in this view of Leamington's large parish church.

Bath Street

Bath Street

The Parade

The Parade

The Lower Parade with the Town Hall on the right.

Lower Parade

Lower Parade

The Pump Rooms are located on the left with the Jephson Gardens on the right.

York Walk

York Walk

The riverside walk which is part of the green corridor following the course of the River Leam.

Adelaide Road Bridge

Adelaide Road Bridge

View from Victoria Park. This bridge dates from 1850 and is an important crossing point of the river.

Linden Avenue

Linden Avenue

Linden Avenue

Linden Avenue

Alongside Dormer Place

Pump Room Gardens

Pump Room Gardens

Pump Room Gardens

Pump Room Gardens

Sunday afternoon band concerts were very popular for many years.

Pump Rooms

Pump Rooms

Postcard showing the tower and pediment added to the Pump Rooms in alterations by John Cundall.

Victoria Bridge

Victoria Bridge

This bridge provides the main link over the river between the old town and the new town. It was built in 1809 but has been widened and extended since then.

River Leam

River Leam

Boating remains a popular pastime on the river although it now takes place upstream beyond the weir.

Mill Bridge and Weir

Mill Bridge and Weir

The bridge is a pedestrian bridge, dating from 1903, at a time of river improvements.

Jephson Gardens

Jephson Gardens

View showing the ornamental lake, the Willes obelisk, erected in honour of Edward Willes who owned the site of the gardens and the Corinthian Temple housing a statue of Henry Jephson.

St Paul's Church

St Paul's Church

Designed by John Cundall, architect of St. John's, the Hitchman Fountain and the Town Hall. It was built in 1874.

St. John's Church

St. John's Church

Designed by John Cundall, architect of St. Paul's, the Hitchman Fountain and the Town Hall. It was built in 1877 and the similarity with St. Paul's is notable.

Lower Parade

Lower Parade

A view from the 1950s with little traffic to be seen.

The Midland Oak

The Midland Oak

A local landmark sadly gone.

© 2015 by Terry Bigley. Proudly created with Wix.com

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now