This photo dates from 1957 shortly before the church was demolished. Christ Church was a landmark building in Beauchamp Square and overlooked The Parade. Upon demolition it was discovered that the pillars were timber covered in plaster. The Church was designed by Peter Robinson and was built in 1825.
Christ Church & Upper Parade
England & Son
Furniture store which once stood on the Parade.
Burgis & Colbourne, Bedford Stores
Town Hall late 1920s
Unveiling of Queen Victoria's Statue
The statue was erected in 1902 to commemorate Queen Victoria who had died the previous year. It is situated in front of the Town Hall.
Memorial to Dr. John Hitchman, founder of the Arboretum Hydropathic Establishment on Tachbrook Road, later to become the Midland Counties Home.
Pump Room Gardens
A frequently produced view of the crowds listening to the band on a Sunday afternoon.
Financed by the fifth Earl of Aylesford of Packington Hall, who was Lord of the Manor, this small stone building was constructed over the first saline spring to be discovered in Leamington. It dated from 1813, replacing an earlier well house which had been built in 1803, financed by the fourth Earl Aylesford. Once the main source for public access to take the Spa water (salty) it had declined into a sorry state at the time of demolition in 1960.
Bath St. & Post Office
The building on the left with the impressive portico was the Post Office from 1846 until 1870, when the new Post office on the corner of Priory Terrace was opened. In the background can be seen the railway bridge carrying the LNWR line between Leamington Avenue and Rugby. This bridge was demolished in the late 1960s. The bridge hidden behind it, carrying the GWR line between Leamington General and Banbury, remains.
Designed by William Thomas, this attractive construction has stood the test of time. This photo dates from around 1970
Ornamental park in the New Milverton area.
Rugby Road-Welcome Coffee House
This magnificent building dating from 1882 was once the premier theatre in Leamington. It enjoyed a revival in 1935 when it changed to meet the boom in cinema-going, being renamed the Regent Cinema. It was then one of 4 cinemas in the town. The others were the Scala, the Clifton and the Regal. The Regent closed in the 1960s and enjoyed a short spell as a Bingo Hall before being ignominiously used as a garage. The building has now been demolished. Built 1882 by John Fell
An old market area of Leamington, now demolished and replaced by a car park.
The Horse Tram operated along a single track from outside the Avenue Station in Leamington to High Street in Warwick. It opened in 1881 and operated until 1905, being replaced by an Electric Tramway, with twin tracks, which itself was dismantled in 1930.