Royal Midland Counties Home

Royal Midland Counties Home

The Royal Midland Counties Home, Tachbrook Road, Leamington Spa was a hospital that provided long term care for people with physical disabilities. It closed in 1995 and demolition commenced shortly afterwards. A housing development now occupies the site but some of the trees have been retained and can still be seen from St. Helen's Road.

Royal Midland Counties Home

Royal Midland Counties Home

The hospital had originated as the home and practice of Dr. Hitchman. It was named "The Arboretum", no doubt due to the extensive gardens attached, which contained a variety of magnificent mature trees. In 1885 the property was purchased by the trustees of the Midland Counties Home for Incurables. A new wing was added to the original house, resulting in a large, yet somewhat austere building

RMCH chapel

RMCH chapel

The neo-Gothic chapel was the most architecturally interesting building on the site.

RMCH chapel

RMCH chapel

The chapel was demolished in March 1996 shortly after the other buildings.

Jephson Memorial

Jephson Memorial

The memorial erected in Jephson Gardens in recognition of the contribution to the town of the renowned physician, Dr. Henry Jephson.

Saint Peter's School

Saint Peter's School

Saint Peter's School

Saint Peter's School

The old school bench

Mission Church

Mission Church

This building was constructed in 1828 as St. Peter's, the first Roman Catholic Church in Leamington. It is believed that Louis Napoleon, later Napoleon III, worshipped here during his brief sojourn in Leamington in the late 1830's. As the congregation expanded a new church of St. Peter's was constructed in Dormer Place in 1865.

Mission Church

Mission Church

Leamington Town Hall

Leamington Town Hall

Designed by John Cundall. Built 1883-84.

Manor House Hotel

Manor House Hotel

This former hotel, on the site of the former Manor House of the old hamlet of Leamington, was once one of the premier hotels in Leamington. At one time it was the home of Matthew Wise, a man who was much involved in the development of Leamington, north of the River Leam. The building was first used as an hotel in 1847. It has now been converted to apartments. It was on the lawns of the hotel that the first Lawn Tennis club in the world was established in 1872.

Radford Road Methodist Church

Radford Road Methodist Church

Former Town Hall

Former Town Hall

Built 1831 by Edward Mitchell

Pump Rooms & Baths

Pump Rooms & Baths

This building is the most famous legacy of C. S. Smith of Warwick. It has been subject to some alterations over the years. He also designed the Regent Hotel.

Pump Rooms & Baths

Pump Rooms & Baths

The Lodges, Jephson Gardens

The Lodges, Jephson Gardens

Designed by David Squirhill

Leamington College

Leamington College

Formerly The Convent of The Sacred Heart. Designed by David Squirhill. Now converted to residential accommodation.

Lansdowne Crescent from east

Lansdowne Crescent from east

Designed by William Thomas

Lansdowne Crescent from west

Lansdowne Crescent from west

Designed by William Thomas

William Thomas plaque

William Thomas plaque

Victoria House

Victoria House

Designed by William Thomas

Spencer Street Congregational Chapel

Spencer Street Congregational Chapel

Designed by John Russell

Holly Walk Congregational

Holly Walk Congregational

Designed by David Squirhill, built 1849. Its construction followed a split in the congregation of the Spencer Street Chapel.

Chapel, Brunswick St. Cemetery

Chapel, Brunswick St. Cemetery

Chapel - Brunswick Street Cemetery

Chapel - Brunswick Street Cemetery

Designed by John Cundall.

© 2015 by Terry Bigley. Proudly created with Wix.com

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now